Tuesday 4 October 2011

4/5 weeks pregnant - relieved, happy, ill and tired!

This is the stage I'm at just now, and we've already had a few complications that have worried us quite considerably, but hopefully things are looking up now. A few days after finding out I was pregnant, I was having some awful, searingly painful stomach cramps and phoned NHS 24 for advice, only to be told I needed to see a doctor immediately, and they arranged an emergency out-of-hours appointment. The nurse that I saw examined me and took some samples, and said that while she thought it was only a urinary infection (for which she prescribed me some baby-safe antibiotics) she also couldn't rule out the possibility that the pregnancy was ectopic. Which, understandably, scared the living daylights out of me.

Last week, I was back at my own doctor who took two sets of blood to compare hormone levels and development, and yesterday - thankfully - it was confirmed that my pregnancy is definitely not ectopic and from now on, we have to treat it as a normal, healthy pregnancy! Both myself and Michael are elated, the feeling of relief is just wonderful after such an anxious wait for the results. We can now concentrate on making sure our little baby is properly cared for over the coming months. I've already been taking my folic acid daily, and trying to eat more healthily for him/her.

I've been referred to the midwife but I'm still waiting to hear from her, but hopefully I will hear something soon. The doctor had spoken about a referral for an early scan as she couldn't determine dates for me, and I hope that's the case as I don't want to wait another two whole months for my first scan... Yes, I am impatient! But wouldn't you be, too?

I'm already feeling the nausea and exhaustion that I've got to look forward to for the foreseeable future. The nausea can become pretty intense; it's always there, a nagging presence at the back of my mind and pit of my stomach, but all of a sudden it can take a temper tantrum and spring up violently so that I need to sit down or close my eyes. It's manageable, and as of yet I haven't been physically sick, thank God, but it can be quite overpowering. But hey, small price to pay, right? My mum has recommended ginger ale/biscuits, and Norma my sort-of-mother-in-law has advised special wristbands that use some form of acupuncture to try and curb the nausea so I'll try and pick up both today. That's if I get time after work, but dammit I need something to get rid of this sickness, grrrrr.

The exhaustion as well is something I'm finding quite difficult to deal with, as I really feel I could sleep for 24 hours and then still feel like I hadn't rested at all, so early shifts at work (when I start at 7.30am) are proving quite tiresome, literally. So jealous of my sort-of-sister-in-law, Caileigh - I'm pretty sure she didn't get any of this, the lucky moo :(

It's funny though, because my mum has already made comparisons between her own pregnancy (with me) and what's currently happening to me now. Her exhaustion levels were sky high as are mine, and her nausea increased around dinner time, as does mine. She also has a 'feeling' as she calls it, that I'm carrying a baby girl, and I know I shouldn't, but I do kind of hope that's true! Although it's really early, I'm already looking at gorgeous tiny baby clothes and I cannot wait until I'm able to buy :)

Very excited! Let's hope the nausea/exhaustion has calmed down a little by the time I next report...

1 comment:

  1. Step away from the baby clothes shop, me and your mum will be looking forward to that task ;-)

    Norma x
    (sort of mother-in-law)

    ReplyDelete